Tip of the Day
Making Healthy Food Choices with Diabetes
Knowing what to eat with diabetes can be confusing and frustrating. Here are some helpful tips for healthful living with diabetes:
- Eat meals and snacks regularly, at planned times.
- Eat about the same amount of food at each meal or snack.
- Choose healthful foods to support a healthy weight and heart.
- Eat a variety of nutrient-rich food choices that are lower in fat and sodium, and rich in fiber.
- Focus on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans and low-fat milk.
- Sweets should be saved as occasional treats.
- Meet with a registered dietitian to find the correct amount of carbohydrates that is healthy for you.
Remember to always watch your portion size. For more information on how to lead a healthier lifestyle and manage diabetes, consult a registered dietitian in your area, as well as checking out our Diabetes and Diet Information.
*Reminder: New name, same commitment to your nutritional health. The American Dietetic Association is now the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Receive the Tip of the Day RSS Feed!