Nutrition Q & A
What Does "Low Fat" and "Low Sodium" Mean on Food Labels?
Listed below are Food and Drug Administration definitions for frequently used terms. Remember to check the serving size on the Nutrition Facts panel. It may be more or less than the amount you eat.
- Low fat – 3 grams fat or less per serving
- Fat-free – Less than 1/2 gram fat per serving
- Low sodium – Less than 140 milligrams sodium per serving
- Low calorie – Less than 40 calories per serving
- Calorie free – Less than 5 calories per serving
- Low cholesterol – Less than 20 milligrams cholesterol and 2 grams saturated fat
Learn More About This Topic
Shop Smart - Get the Facts on Food Labels »