Nutrition Q & A
How Can I Eat Healthy On a Budget?
All it takes is a bit of planning…here's how:
- Plan your week's meals and grocery list ahead of time. If you're strapped for time during the week, batch cook on the weekend.
- Look in the newspapers for items on sale, use coupons and consider joining your grocery store’s preferred customer club. You can save between 10-15%.
- Follow proper portions (especially with meat), and you’ll find what you thought was a little actually goes a long way.
- Experiment with different cultural fare and make modifications to usual recipes. Substitute meats in dishes with tofu, beans and lentils to save money and still get adequate nutrients.
- Fruits and vegetables can be consumed in fresh, frozen or canned form; the nutritional composition is relatively the same.
- Buy fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season.
Learn More About This Topic
Video: Tips on Canned and Frozen Produce »
Shop Smart -- Get Facts on Food Labels »