Nutrition Q & A
How Can I Make Sure That My Children Eat Healthy?
As with any part of raising children, encouraging healthy eating habits can be challenging. As a parent, grandparent or adult caregiver, you can help to raise healthy eaters during these critical years by doing your best to:
- Serve regular, balanced meals and snacks with a variety of nutrient-rich foods
- Provide calm, pleasant meal times where adults and children can talk together.
- Allow children to use their internal signals to decide how much and what to eat.
- Explore a variety of flavors and foods from different cultures and cuisines.
- Share an appreciation for healthful food, lovingly prepared and shared with others.
- Make simple food safety, like washing hands, part of every eating occasion.
- Teach basic skills for making positive food choices away from home.
- Find credible food and nutrition resources when you don’t know the answer.
Learn More About This Topic
Nutrition for Kids and Teens »
25 Healthy Snacks for Kids »