Nutrition Q & A
What Foods are Included in the Mediterranean Diet?
The Mediterranean Diet is a heart-healthy eating pattern based on the traditional foods and cooking styles of the countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea. Much of the diet consists of fresh, minimally processed foods that are mostly plant-based and rich in monounsaturated fats.
The basic eating pattern includes:
- Generous amounts of fruits and vegetables every day
- Healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
- Herbs and spices to replace salt to flavor foods
- Small portions of red meat
- Fish or shellfish at least twice a week
- Small portions of nuts
- Red wine, in moderation, if appropriate
- Being physically active and enjoying meals with others