Nutrition Q & A
What Are Some Ways to Eat Healthy during the Holidays?
When presented with all of the beloved family recipes and tasty dishes expected at any holiday get-together, it can become difficult to say "no." Good news: you don't have to! Here are a few simple tips to make the holiday season more healthful and less guilt ridden.
- Make realistic goals. The holiday season is not the time to place added stress on yourself by attempting to lose weight.
- Use smaller plates if available when at a buffet-style party.
- Try eating a healthy snack before going to a party to ease your hunger.
- Conversation is calorie-free, but move away from the buffet so you won't be tempted to eat while you talk.
- Scope out the buffet before you go up to make your selections.
- Balance what you eat at parties with what you eat during the day.
- Remember that beverages contain calories as well. Alcoholic beverages, home-made punches, and chocolaty beverages tend to have sneaky calories that you may not bargain for. Consume these in moderation!
- Watch your portion sizes and take small "tastes" of high calorie dishes.