Nutrition Q & A
How Do I Make My Holiday Recipes More Calorie-Friendly?
Family recipes are traditional during the holidays. Try these tips to lighten family favorite recipes without changing them completely:
- Skim the fat … right off the top of gravies and sauces. Simply skim the top with a slotted spoon. Or put the gravy dish in the refrigerator to harden the fat on top, and then remove it. You may also add ice cubes, and the fat will harden around the ice cubes.
- To create healthier baking recipes, try adding fruits or nuts to cookies and cakes. Use non-hydrogenated oils or trans fat free margarines instead of butter.
- Some handy substitutions to lighten your dishes also include:
- Using two egg whites instead of one whole egg
- Using evaporated skim milk instead of heavy cream
- Replacing half the oil in a recipe with an equal amount of applesauce
- Using low-fat versions of cheeses and dairy products
- Using creative toppings for casseroles like almonds instead of fried onions