a Publication for members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign sponsored annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign is designed to focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. NNM also promotes the Academy and its members to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically based food and nutrition information.
Event Ideas to Get Everyone Involved
Get Everyone Involved
- Ask the city mayor or state governor to declare March "National Nutrition Month." Provide a proclamation form to make it easier for the staff.
- Supply radio stations with healthy breakfast baskets. This may initiate an opportunity for on-air interviews with registered dietitians.
- Promote National Nutrition Month on billboards. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Send out an NNM "Tip of the Day" via e-mail to staff or clients.
- Invite the author of a nutrition book to speak at your group's meeting. For ideas, go to the Good Nutrition Reading List for a collection of nutrition books.
- Plan a cooking demo or nutrition event. Invite a restaurant chef or local culinary school to conduct a cooking demo combined with a brief nutrition presentation. Provide copies of recipes plus NNM brochures and measuring spoons or other cooking items.
- Sponsor a “dial-a-dietitian” night through a local radio station. Callers may ask nutrition questions for RDs to answer. Even better if a local television station will participate.
- Contact the local library and schedule a story time, movie, nutrition program or a poster coloring contest for kids. Provide activity sheets for children, Eat Right nutrition tip sheets for adults and NNM bookmarks for everyone.