a Publication for members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign sponsored annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign is designed to focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. NNM also promotes the Academy and its members to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically based food and nutrition information.
Event Ideas for Schools or Workplaces
Schools or Workplaces
- Create a "nutrition question of the day" contest sent by email or posted on a display. Draw the name of a daily prize winner from those who provided the correct answer. Suggested prizes: NNM pens, pencils, magnets, buttons or cooking items from the NNM catalog. Award a grand prize at the end of the month drawn from all correct submissions.
- Vote for your favorite fruits and vegetables: Offer a selection of fruits and vegetables cut into bite-size pieces. Ask participants to vote for their favorite vegetable and fruit. Post a tally board to record votes. Handout "20 Ways to Get More Fruits and Vegetables" and NNM recipes with fruits or vegetables as ingredients.
- Classroom: Ask children to carefully save empty food product labels and boxes. Spend some time reading labels and comparing information in the Nutrition Facts panels. Expand into a menu-planning opportunity, individually or in teams, using MyPlate as the guide to a healthy meal.
- Highlight ethnic and cultural food traditions. Offer special menu items from international cuisines (Asian, Mediterranean, Mexican, etc.) or regional foods of the United States.
- Organize a "healthy recipe" contest among employees. Have the judges be VIP's from your workplace. Award NNM t-shirts, mugs or other items as prizes.
- Distribute coupons for discounts on a healthy meal featured in the cafeteria.
- Decorate the cafeteria with NNM posters or banners, table tents and balloons. Create a "take one" display with NNM brochures, bookmarks,Eat Right Nutrition Tips, and recipe handouts.
- Conduct a series of healthy weight and fitness sessions at your workplace. Recruit a local fitness or yoga instructor to assist you. Give each participant a National Nutrition Month® t-shirt, pedometer or water bottle plus healthy eating handouts.