Registered Dietitian Day was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association) to increase the awareness of registered dietitians as the indispensable providers of food and nutrition services and to recognize RDs for their commitment to helping people enjoy healthy lives. Registered Dietitian Day and National Nutrition Month® promote the Academy and RDs to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically-based food and nutrition information.
The first Registered Dietitian Day was celebrated in 2008. Wednesday, March 12 has been designated Registered Dietitian Day in 2014.
Registered Dietitian Day Key Messages
The following key messages are the foundation for the communications regarding Registered Dietitian Day that have been developed for various audiences including health professionals, employers of RDs, media and the public.
- Registered Dietitians are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitians have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship and passed an examination.
- Registered Dietitians use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitians work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research and private practice.
- Registered Dietitians are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
The Academy's mission is to promote optimal nutrition and well being for all people by advocating for its members. With more than 73,000 members, the Academy is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The majority of Academy members are registered dietitians and dietetic technicians, registered.
Visit National Nutrition Month online for suggestions for celebrating Registered Dietitian Day, RD promotional materials and the NNM catalog with special Registered Dietitian Day gifts.
Registered Dietitian Day and NNM inquiries should be directed to email@example.com. For media related information contact Public Relations at 312/899-4802 or 4769 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service Mark: National Nutrition Month(R) is the property of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Its use is encouraged, but only in accordance with published guidelines. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.