Platform: Apple (Free; available via Apple App store)
RD Rating: 5 Stars
Dietitians of Canada
Age rating: 4+
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.1 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Reviewed by: Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD
Synopsis of the App
Created by the Dietitians of Canada, eaTipster delivers daily healthy eating tips to your mobile devices. The app addresses common food and nutrition questions and concerns and provides tips to increase healthy eating, support a healthy weight and fight chronic disease.
- Simple navigation.
- Tips are grounded in nutrition science and current research.
- Practical, easy-to-understand daily tips delivered in a personable and conversational tone.
- Wide variety of food and nutrition topics covered.
- Save favorite tips to review later with just one touch.
- Set daily reminders to receive new tips at the time of day you need it most.
- Easily share tips with friends and family via email, text, Facebook and Twitter.
- Link to additional web resources from the app.
- Available in French.
- No advertisements.
- No apparent way to review previous tips unless these are saved to favorites.
- Tips are not categorized and are not searchable.
The eaTipster app delivers practical healthy eating tips that can be used immediately. The fact that this app is developed by registered dietitians adds credibility that many health apps lack.
Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.