Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Offers Nutrition Professionals Help in Communicating Accurate Food and Nutrition Information
Media Contacts: Ryan O'Malley, Allison MacMunn
800/877-1600, ext. 4769, 4802 firstname.lastname@example.org
For health professionals and consumers alike, the best source of reliable, science-based information on food and nutrition is a registered dietitian. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has published a new practice paper to help registered dietitians communicate accurate information to the public, clients and patients.
The abstract for the paper was published in the May Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. It was written by registered dietitians and nutrition communications specialists Diane Quagliani of Western Springs, Ill., and Mindy Hermann of Mount Kisco, N.Y.
A practice paper is a critical analysis of current research literature that enables Academy members – primarily registered dietitians and dietetic technicians, registered – to translate nutrition science into the highest-quality advice and services. Practice papers are published on the Academy's website for Academy members and are available to the public for purchase.
According to the authors:
- Consumers are increasingly interested in food and nutrition information and the channels for receiving information are expanding at a fast pace.
- There is an increasingly competitive communications environment where information is sometimes inaccurate but believed by the public.
- RDs are uniquely qualified to evaluate and interpret nutrition research within the context of the body of science and appropriately translate the findings into positive and practical food and diet advice for the public.
The authors cite the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' "Nutrition and You" public opinion surveys that show the percentage of people who actively seek information about nutrition and healthful eating has more than doubled since 2000 from 19 percent to 46 percent in 2011.
Particularly important messages include:
- Confused about food and nutrition information? Registered dietitians (RD) are reliable sources of information.
- You can find food and nutrition information from RDs wherever you look: on TV, online, in magazines and books.
- To find an RD near you, go to the Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics website at www.EatRight.org.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The Academy is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education and advocacy. Visit the Academy at www.eatright.org.