Current version: 1.0.3
RD Rating: 2 Stars
Age rating: 4+
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Requires iOS 3.2.2 or later.
Reviewed by: Jessica Crandall, RD, CDE
Synopsis of the App
The AllergyEatsMobile app is loaded with information built by members of the food allergy community who can offer assistance to each other by rating a restaurant on how well it can accommodate to the needs of customers with specific food allergens. This app also offers menus, including gluten-free menus, allergen lists, certifications, nutrition info, links to dining tips and other outside resources.
- The restaurant database is fairly comprehensive, including both large chains and local listings.
- You can search by zip code or GPS location.
- Information includes ratings, contact information and directions to the restaurant.
- Covers many different allergies, such as peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs, wheat, gluten, fish, shellfish, sesame and soy
- Has poor interface with other smart phone features like GPS
- Does not have many bakeries on the list
- Does not give suggestions on what to eat/order
- Has spelling errors and slow loading time
- There are only a handful of ratings for each restaurant.
- Questions for rating the restaurant are not comprehensive.
To be useful, this app needs to contain more detailed reviews and broader criteria for consumer reviews. It would also be helpful if the app listed foods to consume or avoid and gave a definition of gluten-free.
Jessica Crandall, RD, CDE, a registered dietitian with expertise in behavior and lifestyle modification, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.