Current version: 3.30
RD Rating: 3 Stars
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Requires iOS 3.0 or later.
Reviewed by: Sarah Krieger, MPH, RD, LD/N
Synopsis of the App
This app allows you to personalize a calorie limit for weight loss, gain or maintenance. A thorough food diary tracks meals including all carbohydrates, fats, protein, calcium, trans fat, sodium, carbohydrates, fiber, sugar and saturated fat, exercises, body weight, and shows progress charts.
- Shows Nutrition Facts label upon request
- There is a recipe section to add in favorite recipes.
- The Day Nutrition Summary is detailed with how many calories, fat, carbohydrates, protein, trans fat and saturated fat, sodium, cholesterol and carbohydrates were consumed and shows how many are left (or exceeded) at the end of the day.
- You can keep track of vitamin/mineral supplements, measurements and water, and there is a notes section.
- Countdown with a starting calorie goal
- Offers a large database of more than 400,000 foods updated daily and a built-in scanner to scan other foods
- Allows you to track your calories burned and has a database of more than 500 physical activities and exercises
- Calculates your target calories, weight maintenance calories, Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate based on your age, height, weight, gender and activity level. Offers planning for your target date or desired weight loss rate.
- Additional information offered at www.mynetdiary.com
- The app doesn’t seem to flow smoothly from page to page.
- Food database is average. It does not automatically save foods manually entered, but identifies eating patterns and saves favorites based upon this, which can be an inconvenient feature if taking the time to manually enter foods.
A very good app that is fairly easy to use and has a great daily analysis that is nice for people to bring in to a nutrition consultation. It is an easy-to-navigate app that is great for logging your calories throughout the day. With the assistance of an RD, these logs can be analyzed for a personal nutrition and activity plan that works for you.
Sarah Krieger, MPH, RD, LD, a registered dietitian with expertise in weight management and nutrition education, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.