Current version: 2.1.2
RD Rating: 2 Stars
Daily Burn, Inc.
Age rating: 4+
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
Reviewed by: Sarah Krieger, MPH, RD, LD/N
Synopsis of the App
Keep track of calories consumed and track workouts to see how much energy is burned. The app is backed by the online fitness community DailyBurn Tracker.
- Gives a range of calories to eat each day and the opportunity to set goals based on your fitness goals, age, weight and gender or activity level
- Shows a Nutrition Facts food label with each food entered (even for generic foods, like a pear)
- The scan, "in your favorite list" and the calorie breakdown are provided for each food individually and for the total intake for the day.
- Able to track weight for up to six months
- Additional information and support offered at www.dailyburn.com.
- Offers a database of more than 350,000 foods and their nutrition information and also provides a bar code scanner to scan foods
- Every time you enter a food, you also have to enter the date and click "I ate this," which gets tedious.
- The process to enter food is time consuming compared to other apps. You have to backtrack screens too often.
- Free version tracks only calories, carbohydrates, fat and protein.
For the amount of work and somewhat confusing summary, this app needs work. In the future, it has great potential to offer complete weight loss support. Right now, it requires more time to enter foods and workouts than other apps in the market.
Sarah Krieger, MPH, RD, LD, a registered dietitian with expertise in weight management and nutrition education, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.