Current version: 2.5.2
RD Rating: 4 Stars
Age rating: 4+
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
Requires iOS 3.0 or later.
Reviewed by: Sarah Krieger, MPH, RD, LD/N
Synopsis of the App
Tracks food, exercise, weight and all the nutrients listed on a Nutrition Facts label. Also includes daily inspirational articles, healthy recipes and an easy-to-understand Help section.
- The analysis section is detailed: Love the charts, which show all major nutrients including vitamin C, iron and calcium. One of the charts includes alcohol in the equation, which is a nice visual.
- Logging-by-voice feature is a unique addition to this app.
- Database of foods is large: 100,000.
- Easily able to log common and recently eaten foods and meals, and a bar code scanner helps find nutrition information of foods on hand.
- Community and forums are offered for group support.
- Took much too long to register and navigate through the app, with too many pages to go through and slow to go to each section.
- The app crashed a few times while viewing and asked if a report should be sent.
This is a great app; the only issue I have is that it only includes calories, carbohydrates, fat and protein. I would recommend it for tracking these consumed throughout the day; however, I would recommend using this app under the guidance of an RD to track the amount of sodium, saturated fat, fiber and other important nutrients that may be crucial to monitor for disease management.
Sarah Krieger, MPH, RD, LD, a registered dietitian with expertise in weight management and nutrition education, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.