Current version: 2.1
RD Rating: 5 Stars
Merck & Co., Inc.
Age rating: 4+
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
Reviewed by: Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD
Synopsis of the App
Vree for Diabetes is a portable resource for managing diabetes. The app includes diabetes education resources to better understand Type 2 diabetes and the requirements to manage it, blood glucose tracking, nutrition tracking, activity tracking, medication tracking, progress charts and blood pressure tracking.
- Includes an introductory set up process that allows the user to personalize his or her experience with profile information and the ability to select a coach from diverse backgrounds to use as an avatar. The coach leads the user through medication entry, blood glucose monitoring settings and height, weight, age data.
- Supplies a food tracker powered by ESHA Food Processor
- Provides a learning section that explains the basics of Type 2 diabetes, including the importance of measuring blood glucose
- Built in reminders for exercise, medication, blood pressure checks and more
- Distinguishes between activity and exercise and provides a wide selection of activities for both
- Offers password protection for the information entered into the app, which protects the user’s privacy in the event that the device is accessed by someone else
- Provides push notification for alerts, badges and icons
- No advertisements
- No charts or graphics to visually track trends
Vree for Diabetes is a comprehensive portable resource for anyone seeking to play an active role in managing his or her diabetes. This app would be useful and beneficial for the newly diagnosed, as well as veterans with diabetes.
Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD, a registered dietitian with expertise in diabetes, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.