Current version: 1.3
RD Rating: 4 Stars
Age rating: 4+
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Requires iOS 3.0 or later.
Reviewed by: Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD
Synopsis of the App
WaveSense Diabetes Manager helps you track your blood glucose results, carb intake and insulin doses. Features include a logbook, trend chart, email reports, color-coded results, video content from dLife and fully customizable target ranges for hypo-/hyperglycemia limits and mealtime schedules.
- Attractive design with easy navigation
- Easy food look up and recipes with complete nutrition data
- Ability to customize for insulin use, target blood glucose range and targets for pre- and post-prandial meals and meal schedules
- Allows for detailed blood glucose entry (pre- and post-prandial several times per day) and notes regarding exercise, abnormalities in medication regimen, alcohol, excessive fat intake or a skipped meal and even sick days
- Allows for tracking up to 90 days with the ability to display data as entered into the logbook as well as by statistics and a trend chart
- The app includes a convenient share function allowing the user to quickly email his or her logbook data to their registered dietitian or other health professional for review.
- Excellent video library featuring recipe demos and interviews with celebrity and regular people with diabetes
- No intrusive advertisements
- The app does not include a food tracker or option for food journaling. Keeping a food journal has been shown to help with weight management. For people newly diagnosed with diabetes, the journal is an essential tool for determining how their food patterns affect blood sugar outcomes.
The WaveSense Diabetes Manager app is one of the most useful free diabetes resources I've found in the App Store. This app would be a useful addition for anyone hoping to track his or her progress and make healthier decisions throughout the day.
Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD, a registered dietitian with expertise in diabetes, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.