Current version: 1.5
RD Rating: 2 Stars
Age rating: 4+
Compatibility: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
Reviewed by: Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD
Synopsis of the App
Carb Master is a simple app for tracking carbohydrate intake. It also tracks total calories, fat, sugar, protein and fiber for the day. This app targets people with diabetes or those on a low-carb diet.
- Keeps a running tally of the carb intake for the day. The tally appears on the app icon, eliminating the need to launch the app to see where you are for the day.
- Simple design.
- Allows for daily goal setting and the addition of custom food items
- Data entry is awkward, requiring the user to go through several screens to enter foods.
- Availability of foods is inconsistent. For example, amaranth flakes are in the database, but some common ingredients such as whole-wheat couscous aren’t.
- Some foods (beyond carbohydrates) are available only in gram measurements, which are not familiar to many Americans.
- In addition to total carbohydrates, the app displays and uses the term “net carbs,” which can be misleading to the average consumer who may not understand how net carbs are calculated.
I would recommend this app for anyone seeking a simple way to keep track of carbohydrate intake for the day. It would not be a good choice for those seeking a comprehensive diabetes management tool, as it excludes essentials like blood glucose, medication and activity tracking.
Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD, a registered dietitian with expertise in diabetes, is a Spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.