Diet books routinely top the best-seller lists, and new diet plans come out seemingly every day. To help you understand which diets are reasonable and which should be avoided, current and former Academy spokespeople have reviewed a number of diet books, asking such questions as:
- What claims does the author make?
- What does his or her diet plan entail?
- Are there nutritional weaknesses in the plan? Strengths?
- What’s the registered dietitian’s bottom-line assessment of the book?
As registered dietitians, Academy spokespeople have the knowledge and expertise to help decipher fact from fad in order to help you develop a healthy eating plan that is right for you.
- Grain Brain
By David Perlmutter, MD, with Kristin Loberg; Reviewed by Marisa Moore, MBA, RDN, LD
- The Doctor’s Diet
By Travis Stork, MD; Reviewed by Angela Lemond, RDN, CSP, LD
- Power Foods for the Brain
By Neal D. Barnard, MD; Reviewed by Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDN, LDN
- The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight & Feeling Great
By Eric C. Westman, MD, Stephen D. Phinney, MD, and Jeff S. Volek, PhD; Reviewed by Kim Larson, RDN, CD, CSSD
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
By Nina Teicholz; Reviewed by Libby Mills, MS, RDN, LDN
- The New Lean for Life
By Cynthia Stamper Graff and Reginald Allouche, MD; Reviewed by Sonya Angelone, MS, RDN, CLT
- The Daniel Plan: 40 Days to a Healthier Life
By Rick Warren, DMin, Daniel Amen, MD, and Mark Hymen, MD; Reviewed by Jessica Crandall, RDN, CDE
- The 100
By Jorge Cruise Reviewed by Heather Mangieri, MS, RDN, CSSD
- The Fast Diet
By Dr. Michael Mosely and Mimi Spencer; Reviewed by Angela Lemond, RDN, CSP, LD
- Close Enough Nutrition
By Judy Webb Brewster; Reviewed by Deborah Beauvais, RDN, SNS
- The Zen Diet Revolution: The Mindful Path to Permanent Weight Loss
By Martin and Philippa Faulks; Reviewed by Marjorie Nolan Cohn, MS, RD, CDN
- Eat Less Salt
By the American Heart Association; Reviewed by Joan Salge Blake, MS, RD, LDN
- The Complete Guide to Naturally Gluten-Free Foods
Written by Olivia Dupin; Reviewed by Jeannie Gazzaniga-Moloo PhD, MS, RD
- Wheat Belly
Written by William Davis; Reviewed by Reviewed by Kristi King, MPH, RD, CNSC, LD