Naomi Trostler, PhD, RD and Esther F. Myers, PhD, RD, FADA Principal Investigators
The Objectives of this study are to test the universality of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics MNT Guides for Practice for Adult Type 1 and 2 Diabetes and to evaluate outcomes from implementing them. Each of the 15 dietitians from Israel, Turkey, and Lebanon will enroll and follow 20 patients for a one year period.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundtion's Wimpfheimer-Guggenheimer Fund for International Exchange in Nutrition, Dietetics and Management provided the funds to initiate this study.
Accomplishments to date:
- The guides have been translated to Hebrew, Turkish and Arabic.
- Training and research follow up sessions for the dietitians were held in Istanbul, Turkey and Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Abbott approved supplementary funding for Glucometers and glucose test strips for all subjects for a one year period in the three countries.
- To date, two years into the project over 50% of the clients have been entered into the study.
- First results will be presented during the 2005 International Union of Nutrition Scientist (IUNS) and during the DPBRN meeting during FNCE.
- Final results are planned to be presented in a mini-symposia format at the 2006 FNCE.
- A peer reviewed article will also be authored.