The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, is seeking a Director, Grassroots Advocacy. This high performing mid-level professional will work in our Washington D.C. office, managing the Academy’s legislative work on food and nutrition issues.
- Develops nutrition policy materials for Academy member consideration, and facilitates discussion and builds consensus within the organization to articulate the Academy’s recommendations and views on nutrition policy matters
- Advocates/lobbies for effective food and nutrition policies with Congress and federal agencies
- Works with allied coalitions and partners to promote the Academy's policy initiatives
- Helps to build grassroots efforts with members
- Communicates with internal and external stakeholders through Academy publications and other mediums
- Develops and advises of emerging opportunities to participate in and learn from policy developments
- A bachelor's degree in food and nutrition, dietetics, or public health with an emphasis in nutrition or public policy required; related advanced degrees preferred.
- 1-2 years of relevant, demonstrated experience managing legislation and/or government relations and advocacy; House and/or Senate experience preferred
- Knowledge of and interest in political processes and public policy processes are desired
- RD credential highly desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-starter and team player
- Strong strategic thinking and interpersonal skills
This position is located in our Washington, D.C. office.
The Academy offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical and dental insurance, LTD, tuition reimbursement, and 401k match with IMMEDIATE VESTING! The Academy promotes a friendly, professional, and challenging team-based work environment.
The Academy's office is conveniently located near public transportation: two major Metra train stations (Union and Ogilvie), CTA trains and major bus routes are all within a few blocks.