The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is seeking a motivated individual to join our dynamic Books and Resources Publishing Team as a Production Editor for books, patient education handouts, and other publications sold in the professional and consumer markets.
- Evaluates final draft manuscripts for completeness and adherence to technical requirements and prepares manuscripts for copyediting.
- Schedules and tracks the entire production process from copyediting through release of final printer files.
- Supervises freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers, compositors, and cover designers.
- Copyedits and proofreads selected manuscripts, covers, and auxiliary materials.
- Integrates author corrections into copyedited manuscripts and proofs.
- Writes basic specifications to be followed by compositors and cover designers and confirms compliance with those specs.
- Checks all stages of page proofs from first through final pass. Assists with quality assurance for online and digital publications (apps, e-books).
- Maintains production archive and fulfills requests for archived materials.
- This is not a writing or graphic design position.
- A bachelor degree in English, journalism, communications, or other related field.
- A minimum of 4+ years of experience in book publishing, medical editing, or journal publishing.
- Superior copyediting and proofreading skills (CMS and AMA Manual of Style; candidates selected for interview must take an editing test).
- Previous experience editing peer-reviewed scientific subject matter, including charts, graphs, and reference citations.
- Understanding of the entire book production process and interest in emerging publishing technologies.
- Demonstrated success in prioritizing and managing multiple projects under deadline.
- Excellent communication skills, analytical skills and people skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products is required. Experience with Adobe Acrobat and content management systems is highly desired.
The Academy offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical and dental insurance, LTD, tuition reimbursement, and 401k match with IMMEDIATE VESTING! The Academy promotes a friendly, professional, and challenging team-based work environment.
The Academy's office is conveniently located near public transportation: two major Metra train stations (Union and Ogilvie), CTA trains and major bus routes are all within a few blocks.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Work at the Academy