What Are the Criteria for Developing a Position Paper?
Background Information for Developing an Academy Position
What are the criteria for the establishment of an Academy Position?
- It expresses an opinion on an emerging issue which may be controversial or a source of consumer confusion or represents a professional need for clarification
- It addresses an issue which impacts the nutritional status of the public
- It derives from an analysis and synthesis of current facts, data and research literature that results in consensus
- It provides direction to facilitate appropriate action from members, other professionals and the public
- It expresses a positive and proactive call to action to promote optimal nutrition, health and well-being for the public
- It reflects the mission, vision, philosophy, values and the strategic initiatives of the Academy.
What is the process for developing a position?
- An individual or organizational unit (affiliate dietetic association, dietetic practice group, etc.) completes the Proposed Position Concept form and Evaluation Checklist and forwards it to staff at Academy Headquarters
- The Association Position Committee reviews the Proposed Position Concept form and Evaluation Checklist and votes to accept or reject the proposal
- If the committee approves the proposed position, it is forwarded to the House of Delegates for a vote to accept or reject the development of the proposal
- After the House of Delegates votes for development of the proposal, the committee assigns it to a workgroup for selection of an author, reviewers and content advisors
- After the position has been developed and has been through two or three reviews, the position is prepared for a vote by the House Leadership Team. It is also disseminated to the House of Delegates for comment. The House Leadership Team may elect to forward the draft position to the House of Delegates for approval.
- If the position is approved by House Leadership Team the position is sent to the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for publication. When the position is published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics it becomes an official position of the Academy.