- Registered by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) and member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in the Active or Retired classification.
- Hold master's or higher degree.
- Show evidence of professional leadership.
- Actively involved in dietetics education or practice.
- Show evidence of commitment to quality dietetics education programs.
- Represent major areas of dietetics practice.
- Served as a lead program reviewer/site visitor within the last five years.
- Can not serve simultaneously on other groups within the Academy that may represent a conflict of interest with ACEND activities (i.e., elected member of Board of Directors or Commission on Dietetic Registration).
- The position of program representative-elect requires a time commitment of at least 12 days for travel and attending scheduled meeting. Additional time is required to review and evaluate program materials and to complete other ACEND responsibilities as assigned.
- The program representative-elect must be able to work closely with/through the ACEND staff in order to promote/strengthen continuity from year to year and to facilitate communication.
- The program representative-elect serves a one-year term. At the end of the term, the program representative-elect becomes program representative and serves a two-year term. Terms of program representatives are staggered.
- Program representative responsibilities may include participation on committees and assistance with ACEND activities, such as reviewer training, workshops, and forums on accreditation.
Nomination and Selection Process
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics board will appoint program representatives-elect according to the following procedure.
Recommendations and applications for the program representative-elect positions to be filled are solicited annually via the ACEND Newsletter and Academy website, as needed.
Applications include a letter of interest and current vita. Individuals who have been recommended independent of an application are contacted to determine their interest in serving in this position, and to request an application.
Applications for the program representative-elect positions are due November 1 annually. Send applications to ACEND staff, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, Illinois 60606.
The ACEND Nominating Committee reviews all applications and determines those applicants who meet the qualifications and possess specialties compatible with the needs of ACEND. In the nomination process, the Committee reviews site visitor evaluations, if applicable.
The ACEND Nominating Committee interviews all qualified applicants. Applicants are informed that they cannot be placed on the ACEND ballot if they are also on the national ballot for a position that is a conflict of interest for ACEND.
The ACEND Nominating Committee recommends candidates qualified for appointment to each program representative-elect position to the ACEND board at the winter ACEND board meeting. The ACEND board elects the individual for each program representative-elect position by majority vote.
The letter of appointment states that the individual not have their name placed on the national ballot if the position is a conflict of interest for ACEND during their term of office for ACEND.